House concerts and other unplugged venues can ignore this section! Please click here for Andrew McKnight & Beyond Borders tech needs.
Andrew McKnight Technical Requirements
For a "plugged-in" show, we expect a basic soundsystem consisting of:
- at least 2 full-range loudspeakers for the audience and 1 monitor wedge
- sufficient power and signal mixing capability to clearly amplify vocals and acoustic instruments
- performance quality reverberation unit
- all required speaker, microphone and electrical supply cables; connected and tested by the venue sound engineer prior to soundcheck.
Note: The typical self-contained Mackie Mixers such as the 408 and two club size speakers are usually adequate for solo shows in up to typical 100-150 seat venues.
Andrew's personal tech needs include:
- One professional quality vocal microphone and cable (AKG 535 or EV967 preferred, minimum standard Shure SM-58) on a tripod boom mic stand center stage
- One XLR connector mic cable to connect Andrew's Fishman Blender guitar preamplifier to the sound system (he has an onboard bridge pickup and a phantom-powered transducer in the soundhole which he sends to the Blender)
- Three DI boxes and 10-15' guitar cables (1/4" jack), for Andrew's other two acoustic guitars AND dobro
- If available, an additional instrument microphone on a tripod boom stand (preferably half height, and slightly to stage right) for miscellaneous instruments, including cedar flute and hand drum. (Note: if possible, the flute sounds great with a big echo setting with a long tail, like a canyon. It is only needed for the intro to one song in the first set for about a minute.)
Andrew typically likes to load in and sound check two hours before showtime. You are welcome to email with questions, alternate arrangement possibilities etc.