House concerts and other unplugged venues can ignore this section! Please click here for Andrew McKnight & Beyond Borders tech needs.
Andrew McKnight Technical Requirements
For a "plugged-in" show, we expect a basic soundsystem consisting of:
- at least 2 full-range loudspeakers for the audience and 1 monitor wedge for each person on stage
- sufficient power and signal mixing capability to clearly amplify vocals and acoustic instruments
- performance quality reverberation unit
- all required speaker, microphone and electrical supply cables; connected and tested by the venue sound engineer prior to soundcheck.
Note: The typical self-contained Mackie Mixers such as the 408 and two club size speakers are usually adequate for solo shows in up to typical 100-150 seat venues.
Andrew's personal tech needs include:
- One professional quality vocal microphone and cable (AKG 535 preferred, Shure SM-58 or better) on a tripod boom mic stand (Andrew can provide a wireless headset for appropriate venues upon advance request)
- One XLR connector mic cable to connect Andrew's Fishman Blender guitar preamplifier to the sound system (he has an onboard bridge pickup and a phantom-powered transducer in the soundhole which he sends to the Blender)
- Two DI boxes and 10 to 15 foot guitar cables (1/4" jack), for Andrew's second acoustic guitar AND dobro
- an additional instrument microphone on a tripod boom stand for miscellaneous instruments, including cedar flute, mandolin and hand drum. Note: if possible, the flute sounds great with a big echo setting with a long tail, like a canyon. It is only needed for the intro to one song in the first set for about a minute.
Andrew typically likes to arrive and sound check two hours before showtime.